Access to Funds while in the USA
- Make sure that you have some USD cash on hand upon arrival.
- It is not easy to exchange RMB to USD when you are in the USA and the exchange rate may not be as good as at the banks in China.
- But it’s recommended NOT to carry an currency exceeding $10,000 of cash, as it may require reporting.
- For more specific information, please refer to U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.
- Using Chinese debit cards or credit cards to make purchases in the USA.
- It is best to have more than one card in case the card that is drawn from the Chinese bank is not widely accepted in the USA.
- You may be required to show your photo ID when making purchases by credit card.
- Your Georgia Tech Buzzcard is a photo ID and should be acceptable to vendors.
You may want to apply for a dual-currency (RMB & USD) Visa or Mastercard in China.
- Able to make purchases using your 银联借记卡 on any POS (point-of-sale) machine with a PIN pad. For example, at IKEA, Publix, WalMart, Kroger, etc.
- Able to make purchases using your 银联信用卡 at most vendors that accept credit cards.
You may be able to withdraw cash from certain US bank ATMs using your 银联借记卡:
Various ATMs at the Georgia Tech Student Center