Please note that the Language Institute organizes a separate set of activities for all Language Institute students including the ASP students, the Intensive English Program (IEP) students, and other summer program students (from Germany etc) as well. Please pay attention to those announcements sent from the Language Institute.
- Wednesday July 8, 2020. Arrival and Internet Setup.
- Friday July 10, 2020. Obtain Your Buzzcard from The Buzz Card Center located on the 2nd floor of the Barnes & Noble Bookstore at Georgia Tech. The program pays for the cost of our Buzzcard (your photo ID as well as keycard for entry into your dorm building). You must bring your passport with you to the Buzzcard Center to apply for the card. Please complete the buzzcard application form and bring the signed form with you to the Buzzcard Center. You are welcome to return to the Buzzcard Center on a different day to deposit money into the buzz card to pay for meals and laundry, etc.
- Friday July 10, 2020, 9:30am-11:30am. Mandatory On-Site Orientation to include detailed program information, class schedules, etiquette, safety, and honor code presentations. Location: Global Learning Center Auditorium 222.
- Friday July 10, 2020, 11:30-1:30pm. Opening Ceremony & Lunch. Location: Global Learning Center Atrium. Dress code: casual elegant.
- Starting on Friday July 10, 2020. Online registration is open for the July 13-14 Outdoor Adventures Trip. Costs (subsidized by the program): $120 for hiking, $175 for rafting. There are limited spots available for each activity. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. You are required to complete and sign the ORGT Assumption of Risk and Waiver of Liability Form and bring the signed form with you to the trip. If you make a mistake during the registration process, you may want to click the “My Cart” button at the top of the page, remove the item from the chart, and start all over again. If you want to pay for multiple students, you will have to repeat the registration for each student.
- Starting on Friday July 10, 2020. Online registration and payment for the Tuesday July 16 leadership challenge course. Cost: $30. Each session is limited to 20 participants. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Participants must sign the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk form electronically prior to participating.
- Saturday July 11, 2020. Trip leaders to collect $40 per person Security and Cleaning Deposit. If you cause damage to the dorm facility and/or do not clean up your room before you leave, you will lose the security deposit. If it is your turn to clean the kitchen and you fail to do so, you may also lose the security deposit. If all is satisfactory, the security deposit will be returned to you the evening prior to your departure.
- Saturday July 11, 2020, 8:30am-5pm. Day Trip to Madison. Board the bus @ 8:30am at Caldwell Hall parking lot. No food or drinks on the bus. Sunscreen and comfortable shoes are advised as you will be doing a lot of walking.
Itinerary: We will have lunch at a farm and cool off at a lake on the property. In the afternoon, we will visit the town of Madison, GA, voted the #1 Prettiest Small Town in America by Travel Holiday Magazine in 2001. Most recently, it is on Budget Travel Magazine‘s List of “World’s 16 Most Picturesque Villages.” We are confident that this trip will deepen your appreciation for the American South!
Click here for weather forecast for Madison, GA
- Sunday July 12, 2020, 10:00am-7:00pm. Trip to the North Georgia Premium Outlets.
Board the bus @ 10:00am at Caldwell Hall parking lot. No food or drinks on the bus. On return, bus departs from the outlet at 6:00pm. If you plan to use credit cards at the outlets, please bring your Buzzcard (as a form of photo ID). Coach and other high-end stores will check ID for international credit cards.
- Monday July 13, 2020. First Day of Classes.
- Monday July 13, 2020, 7:30pm. Kitchen tutorial and fire safety demonstrations. Meet at the kitchen of each floor in the dorm building.
- Tuesday July 14, 2020, 5:30-7:00pm. Seminar: Applying to Graduate School and Avoiding Common Mistakes. Location: Clough Undergraduate Learning Commons Room 102. Speaker: Prof. G. Tong Zhou
- Monday-Friday @ 11:30am. If you do not have class in one of the weekday mornings, we highly recommend you to join a Free Guided Tour of the Georgia State Capitol. Tours are available at 11:30am each weekday and no reservation is required. The State Capitol is close to the MARTA Georgia State Station (change to East-West line at Five Points station). Please bring your Georgia Tech ID (Buzzcard) with you for security check before entering the building. Please allow at least one hour of travel, transfer and security check time before the tour, and you can wander around in the Capitol if you arrive early.
Open government – video streaming of the Georgia General Assembly Legislative Sessions is available. Live coverage is available when the General Assembly meets from early January to late March (or early April). Video archive is available the rest of the time.
A sample piece of legislation: Senate Resolution 225 “The Georgia China Future” that was passed in the 2003-2004 legislative session.
- Thursday July 16, 2020. 6:30pm. Mandatory Orientation for the July 18-19 Outdoor Adventures Trip. Location: Leadership Challenge Course @ corner of Ferst Drive & Hemphill Avenue. For those wishing to buy inexpensive clothes to wear for the outdoor adventures trip, here are Directions to Salvation Army store, 746 Marietta St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318, Tel (404) 523-6214.
- Friday July 17, 2020 and other Fridays. Class Field Trips.
- CNN Studio Tour: visit is arranged through the American Studies or American Popular Culture course
- Atlanta History Center: visit is arranged through the American Studies course
- Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site: visit is arranged through the American Studies course
- The World of Coca-Cola: visit is arranged through the American Popular Culture course
- College Football Hall of Fame: visit is arranged through the American Popular Culture course
- Friday July 17, 2020. Deadline for online registration and payment for the Tuesday July 21 leadership challenge course.
- Saturday-Sunday July 18-19, 2020. Outdoor Adventures Trip. See pictures here. Prices: $120 for hiking, $175 for rafting. The above prices are all-inclusive: camp site, camping gear, backpacks (if needed), rafting gear, bus transportation, food on-site, guides and outdoor activities. Click here to register for the adventure trip. If you do not have a credit card, you can ask someone else to pay on your behalf. This trip is organized by the GT Outdoor Recreations Department. YouTube video from 2009 ASP; also general video about Georgia Tech Outdoor Recreation activities.
- Tuesday July 21, 2020, 5:30-9:30pm. Optional Leadership Challenge Course. Cost: $30. The session is limited to 20 participants. Online registration and payment are required by July 12. For credit card billing address, enter the address (usually in China) where you or your parent receive monthly credit card statements. Registrations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Meet at the Leadership Challenge Course @ corner of Ferst Drive & Hemphill Avenue. Map.
Clothing requirements: Closed toed, tie on (with laces) shoes are REQUIRED; sneakers are best. Do not bring jewelry to the activity, including watches, bracelets, necklaces, rings, earrings. Detailed requirements.
The Leadership Challenge Course is an outdoor classroom. We use the facility to teach Georgia Tech students about leadership and teamwork. It is a fun experience, but it is much more, too. It involves working together with others to solve problems. Learning from your challenge course experience requires that you think about it critically – that you find meaningful connections between what happens on the course and what makes a person an effective leader or team member in the community and their job. Here is a movie showing GT students on the course. Click here for video on the Chinese Youku site.
Everyone must sign the Acknowledgement and Assumption of Risk form electronically prior to participating.
Pay attention to the weather forecast in Atlanta, any storm is likely to pass quickly, so we will proceed with the leadership challenge course rain or shine. In case it rains at the start of the course, we will do some fun exercises in a covered space on-site until the rain passes.
- Thursday July 23, 2020. The One Project: Kindness Rocks
- Friday July 24, 2020. Field Trips
- Saturday July 25, 2019. Optional Outlets Shopping and Tubing in North Georgia $32.09
- Monday July 27, 2020. 6:00-8:00pm. Tech Rec Party at the Student Center.
- Wednesday July 29, 2020. Deadline to Order Extra Copies of Transcripts from the Language Institute. Each student will receive 2 official (sealed and stamped) transcripts free of charge. Extra copies of the official transcript beyond the first two cost $5 each. Students can pay online for extra transcripts. Transcripts will be mailed to each university in August, 2019.
- Thursday July 30, 2020, 5:30-7:30pm. Closing Ceremony: Location: Georgia Tech Hotel Grand Ballroom Salons 4-6 (2nd floor). Dress code: casual elegance. Group photos at the end; attendance is required.
- Thursday July 30, 2020. Move-out Inspection. Program staff will come and check the cleanness of your room. The $40 security & cleaning deposit will be returned to you upon satisfactory inspection.
- Friday July 31, 2020. Morning departure from Atlanta.